I have managed to finally get all of my sixteen patch blocks sewn together for this quilt. It began with two jelly rolls.
Kona Cotton’s “Pool Party Palette” Jelly Roll and the “For You” Jelly Roll by Zen Chic
I then took some time to lay out all of the strips. I selected two strips from each jelly roll to make one stack. I selected my colors carefully so that each stack of 4 had one light blue strip and one dark blue strip. My goal is to have the light blue run on the diagonal from left to right and then the dark blue run on the diagonal from right to left. This way each sixteen patch block would essentially have an “X” of the Pool Party Kona blues running through it.
I then had to spend a little more time planning. Before I could sew these strips together I had to combine each of the stacks of 4 strips with 3 more stacks of 4 strips.
I then decided that it would be easier to create an excel spreadsheet as a guide.
Once I created my guide, I began sewing the strips together.
I labeled each set: A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2,B3….E4
Now that all the strips were together it was time to cut them all into 2.5″ strips. Making sure to keep everything labeled was essential.
It was time to put the sixteen patch blocks together. I made sure to keep the excel guide handy. I then worked hard at making sure that all my seams were quarter inch and that all the seams nested, so that all the square points would come together.
Here is my finished five piles of the sixteen patch blocks.
Each stack has 17 completed blocks, which means I have a total of 85 completed blocks. Since this quilt is for my bedroom and I have a king size bed, 85 blocks will be just enough to get it large enough to fit. My next step is going to be to cut 8.5″ squares out of a coordinating grey fabric. The grey will go between each of the colorful sixteen patch blocks.