Baby Loudermilk’s Lady Bug Quilt

Some how I found the time to finish the ladybug baby quilt that I began so long ago for my second child.  It has been very hard to not only find the time to quilt/sew, but also been a little uncomfortable sitting at my machine for hours at a time while being pregnant.  Now that I have finished her quilt, I am ok with her showing her face to the world now.

Here is a recap of what I have used on this quilt:

Fabric used was a collection of fabrics called Caravan Roundup by MaryJane Butters for Moda

  • Backing Fabric and some Ladybug backs: Caravan Roundup Rodeo Sweetheart Gypsy Sisters
  • Ladybug backs: Caravan Roundup Rodeo Sweetheart Cowgirl Territory
  • Heads and underbellies of Ladybugs: Caravan Roundup Adventure Rodeo Dance the polka
  • White Ladybug background squares: Caravan Roundup Adventure Cowgirl Territory
  • Green Ladybug background squares: Caravan Roundup Tandem Campground Do Si Do
  • Blue Border: Caravan Roundup Big Sky Campground Do Si Do

I used coordinating Gütermann  100% polyester thread.  This thread seems to work really well in my machine and it holds up really well.  In the end I also ended up using 3.5 yards of Fusible interfacing for all the appliquéd ladybugs.

What I learned from this quilt:

  • I like using the Bernina Stitch Regulator “plugged in” that is.  I tried it for 99% of the quilt not plugged in, so the foot just acted like a regular quilting/free motion foot.  I wanted to try this to see if I got better results and to see if I could control my stitches.  I can, but I will need a lot more practice.  The BSR plugged into my machine works better for a beginner like me.  Either way, I had fun with swirls and random feather like patterns in the border, just for fun.  I outlined each of the ladybugs and free motioned their antennae’s.  Since it is not perfect, it is what I call “rustic”.  I love it.
  • Each Lady bug was ironed on with fusible interfacing, then each square was sewn together.  Then I used the blanket stitch from my machine to go around each ladybug.  The only thing that I would change, is that next time,  I would do the blanket stitch around each ladybug before putting the entire quilt top together.  It created a lot of extra bulk when I was trying to turn and go around each ladybug.
  • I loved using my walking foot for this project.  It really helps to keep all the fabric together with out puckering or bunching.
  • For this ladybug quilt, I used coordinating threads for the top of the project and a perfect match coordinating thread for the bottom of the quilt.  I am glad that I did this, instead of using a crazy color combination.  It helped hide all the imperfections.

My last step is going to be a quilt label for the back of the quilt.  I think I am going to wait till we move to complete this step.  I think for this quilt label I want to put my child’s name on the quilt along with my name and a finished on date.  However, due to the fact that she is not here yet, I’m not 100% on a name, and we are not telling anyone her name before she arrives, this will have to wait until a later date.

 

 

 

 

One thought on “Baby Loudermilk’s Lady Bug Quilt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *