The last Bernina Mastery class that I took a couple of weeks ago inspired me to work on making bags/totes. I made a quilted zipper pouch in the class and decided that I could apply what I had learned and make my own bags and totes. Here is a picture of what I had made in class. The instructions were to make the exterior black, but I decided that I preferred the interior lining fabric as the exterior. So, I switched it up a bit.
My sister moved nearby and I decided that I would gather a housewarming basket for her. As I gathered everything that I wanted to give her, I noticed that I would need a large bag or basket to put it all in. While I was at “A Common Thread”, I found a thin foam batting, and decided that I could make a large bag for her. So I found some leftover fabric that I had laying around, and decided to quilt her a large tote bag. I used one yard of fabric for the exterior and one yard of fabric for the interior. I used my Bernina Stitch Regulator(BSR) to quilt the exterior of the bag by tracing around the cupcake design. Once the bag was completed, it was huge! I love how it turned out. She can now use it in the back of her car for trips/groceries, or what ever she wants. I had a lot of fun with this one.
I then wanted to try making a couple of simple tote bags with an embroidered design. I choose a design, and made the same bag, but two different ways. On the first bag I choose to quilt the exterior and the lining. I like how stiff the bag turned out, but that required me to have seams showing on the interior of the bag. I do not like that look quite so well. On the second bag I choose not to quilt it at all, but kept it fully lined. This bag has no visible seems. I like that, but afraid that it might not stand up after washing it. I did enjoy making these bags. I also used cotton webbing for the straps, which I have never done before, but love how it turned out. I will use this product again.
This is what the quilting looked like before I put the quilted bag together. It was nice to get some more practice with the BSR.
Here is the inside view of the quilted bag. As you can see there are several seams that you can see, but the I still like how the bag holds up.
I had fun playing with the embroidery module on my machine. Each of the bags has the same design but I used blue on one bag and yellow on the other.
This is the first time that I have done a Block of the Month(BoM) Quilt. I decided that it would be fun to try one. I choose the BoM from Bernina’s blog WeAllSew.com . I love the way the quilt looks and all of the bright colors are something that I love. I decided that for this project I am not concerned on creating it with the exact fabric or even the same colors. Each month I am going to use whatever scraps that I can find, that would match the overall style of the block for that month. If I do not have enough fabric, then I will buy some that month that meets the requirement for the block.
This months quilt block is called : Antique Mosaic Block. I liked the color choices in this block. Fortunate for me I had left over light pink fabric from the quilt that I did for my daughter. For the other fabrics, I bought Fat Quarters from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store. They had them on sale for $1 each. The fabric requirement for this quilt suggests that we get the same background fabric for the entire quilt. Each block will use some of this same fabric each month. I am not concerned about this as I am trying to focus on creating and learning new blocks each month. My quilt, in the end, should be rustic when I am done. I will choose a different gray each month or so, that way it blends a bit.
I am using Aurifil’s 100% Cotton 50wt Gray thread to piece this entire quilt together. Today, while Abigail was napping, I managed to piece together the block. I took my time and slowly put this piece together as I knew that I had better take my time or none of the points would match up. For this first block the step by step instructions were great. I did get a little confused when I went to put together the strips into one large block. It took me a few minutes to realize that the computer generated pictures had the light pink and dark pink colors switched. At first I thought that I had done something wrong, but I looked further into the instructions and noticed that the final project and what I had put together were the same.
I like doing this BoM project on my own. I can do this in my own time and really enjoy the process. I am excited to see what next months block will be.
I took the last few days and decided that I would organize all my scrap fabric. I do not have a ton of scraps, but for me, they were getting in the way. I did not know how much of what fabric I had, so I decided that I would take the time to cut up all of the extra fabric.
I took my Omnigrid square rulers and made piles of fabric according to the size of the templates. I took a scrap and cut the biggest square that I could manage according to the ruler size.
Once all of this was completed, I found that I now have quite a nice collection of different sized squares.
- 9.5″ Squares
- 6.5″ Squares
- 5″ Squares
- 4.5″ Squares
- 2.5″ Squares
- 3″ Strips of fabric
- 2.5″ Strips of fabric
- Bag of odd sized scraps
These scraps will come in handy the next time I need something small, or I can turn them into a beautiful scrappy looking quilt.
Now that it is all organized, I can begin my next project.