I recently finished a quilt for my sister. She had a baby boy just before this last Christmas. I made her a Dinosaur quilt. I created it with a cotton front and a minky back. Then I used the satin binding, which I had never used before. I think the quilt came out wonderful.
I recently finished a quilt for my Great Aunt. It was her 90th birthday on September 11th this year. I felt like sending her something nice, so I made her a quilt.
This one was a lot of fun. It took me a while to lay out the pattern, but once I figured that out, everything went together nicely. I kept it as simple as I could. Each quilt that I do, I always try and do something that I have never done before. On this quilt, I used my new quilting rulers and ruler foot to create a simple scallop on the border. I really enjoyed using the rulers and can’t wait to find a project where I can use more of them. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Fabric was: My Secret Garden by Cheryl Haynes (42) 10″x10″ pieces. Border: Yellow Fabric; Essentials by Wilmington Prints. Backing: Holly Woods by 3 Sisters for Moda (108″ wide backing) Thread: Gutermann Cream color 800 for piecing Pattern: Half Square Triangles Around the World Quilted: by Machine by stitching in the ditch and did a simple single scalloped border design.
Some how I found the time to finish the ladybug baby quilt that I began so long ago for my second child. It has been very hard to not only find the time to quilt/sew, but also been a little uncomfortable sitting at my machine for hours at a time while being pregnant. Now that I have finished her quilt, I am ok with her showing her face to the world now.
Here is a recap of what I have used on this quilt:
- Backing Fabric and some Ladybug backs: Caravan Roundup Rodeo Sweetheart Gypsy Sisters
- Ladybug backs: Caravan Roundup Rodeo Sweetheart Cowgirl Territory
- Heads and underbellies of Ladybugs: Caravan Roundup Adventure Rodeo Dance the polka
- White Ladybug background squares: Caravan Roundup Adventure Cowgirl Territory
- Green Ladybug background squares: Caravan Roundup Tandem Campground Do Si Do
- Blue Border: Caravan Roundup Big Sky Campground Do Si Do
I used coordinating Gütermann 100% polyester thread. This thread seems to work really well in my machine and it holds up really well. In the end I also ended up using 3.5 yards of Fusible interfacing for all the appliquéd ladybugs.
What I learned from this quilt:
- I like using the Bernina Stitch Regulator “plugged in” that is. I tried it for 99% of the quilt not plugged in, so the foot just acted like a regular quilting/free motion foot. I wanted to try this to see if I got better results and to see if I could control my stitches. I can, but I will need a lot more practice. The BSR plugged into my machine works better for a beginner like me. Either way, I had fun with swirls and random feather like patterns in the border, just for fun. I outlined each of the ladybugs and free motioned their antennae’s. Since it is not perfect, it is what I call “rustic”. I love it.
- Each Lady bug was ironed on with fusible interfacing, then each square was sewn together. Then I used the blanket stitch from my machine to go around each ladybug. The only thing that I would change, is that next time, I would do the blanket stitch around each ladybug before putting the entire quilt top together. It created a lot of extra bulk when I was trying to turn and go around each ladybug.
- I loved using my walking foot for this project. It really helps to keep all the fabric together with out puckering or bunching.
- For this ladybug quilt, I used coordinating threads for the top of the project and a perfect match coordinating thread for the bottom of the quilt. I am glad that I did this, instead of using a crazy color combination. It helped hide all the imperfections.
My last step is going to be a quilt label for the back of the quilt. I think I am going to wait till we move to complete this step. I think for this quilt label I want to put my child’s name on the quilt along with my name and a finished on date. However, due to the fact that she is not here yet, I’m not 100% on a name, and we are not telling anyone her name before she arrives, this will have to wait until a later date.
I officially have a new nephew. Somehow I managed to make a cute panel quilt for him between finishing the my master bedroom quilt and starting on my next project for my new baby girl. I went to craft warehouse and fell in love with a really cute panel. The panel has bears fishing. I love the colors too; greens, browns and reds(very boyish).
I first bought the panel and some coordinating fabric for a border. When I got it all home and looked at it, I decided that I would need to make it bigger. I then went back to craft warehouse a week later and found a fat quarter bundle of coordinating fabrics.
I first bordered the panel in a red and black checkered fabric. I then decided to cut each of the fat quarters in half and sew them lengthwise around two sides of the panel. I set up a pattern with the fabrics and rotated them around. I think it came out great. I then used the leftover scraps for the binding. The backing is a really nice green cuddle fabric.
The top is cute and fun, just fitting for a two year old boy, and the back so cozy and soft.
I decided not to quilt too much of this quilt for a couple of reasons. First cuddle fabric is not the easiest to work with, as it can pucker very easily. The second reason is I wanted to make sure that the quilt was going to be soft and not too stiff.
For the quilt label on this quilt, I used the lettering feature on my machine. I usually embroider the label, but I wanted it small and not so large. After all, this is a small quilt for a child. I also hand stitched the label on to the back of the quilt. I think it looks really good.