A Christmas Quilt – Finished Project

I did manage to finish up my Christmas quilt.  I am so happy on how this one turned out.  It actually ended up being square.  I did use this quilt as practice for several things:

  1. I worked really hard on using a perfect quarter inch seam for piecing.
  2. Used the Bernina Stitch Regulator(BSR) for quilting.
  3. Used a right Seam guide for stitching straight lines.
  4. Practiced using different weights of thread for quilting.
  5. Used the Binding tool from Missouri Star Quilt Company.

I first began quilting with Aurifil 50wt 100% cotton gray thread.  It is very fine, and I liked the way it quilted, but I also wanted to try another option.  The quilting lines were hard to see and did not stand out as much as I would have liked.  After quilting about 3 blocks, I then changed my top thread to Superior Threads 40wt King Tut Gray.  The quilting stitches really stood out this time.  I also discovered that Quilting needles are awesome to use for this as well.  On my previous projects I used a universal 80/12 needle, but the quilting needle glided through the quilt sandwich much easier.

I also used the BSR to work on stippling a random pattern.  I only quilted around the pinwheel so that way it would stand out more. I like the way this turned out. It was difficult to do this as I had to really watch myself so that I would not back myself into a corner.  I wanted to make sure to keep the stitching continuous with out having to do each square and then start again.

I also used the Binding tool this time for the quilt binding instead of just wrapping the back over to the front to finish off the quilt.  In the past on previous projects, I have had a hard time with this. However, with the Binding Tool, I was able to properly have the binding the correct size and fit together perfectly around the quilt.  Looking at the quilt you would never know where the binding began or ended.  I will definitely use this tool again.

It’s time to begin another quilt project.

Quilt Summary for this Christmas Quilt:

  • Finished Size: 55″ x 55″
  • Used Pattern “Charming Windmills Quilt” from More Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts by Pam & Nicky Lintott.  I added two borders to make mine larger; a 2″ border and a 5″ border.
  • Fabric used: two charm packs of Town Square by Holly Taylor and two charm packs Bella Solids by Moda in a corresponding Gray.  One Maroon Jelly roll for the 2″ border and the Binding.  Background fabric is “Snow Glides, Stars hide over the Town Square” by Holly Taylor.
  • Thread:  I used a 40wt Superior King Tut 100% cotton gray for most of the quilting, along with Aurifil 50wt 100% cotton in the same gray color.


One thought on “A Christmas Quilt – Finished Project

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.