It has been a few days since the Second Bernina Block of the Month(BOM) came out, and I finally finished it today. Since I am buying my fabric as I go, it has taken me a while to find anything that I like. I am roughly using their color suggestions. I am trying to use my scraps and buy new ones along the way.
This month they called this the Shoofly block. It uses squares and half square triangles to make a simple 9 patch block. I found myself at Craft Warehouse yesterday looking over their truckload sale. I originally went in thinking that I would purchase 3 gray fat quarters, 1 blue fat quarter, and 1 yellow fat quarter. I found some beautiful fat quarters, but soon realized that I was going to spend twice as much and get less fabric than if I bought a quarter yard of each fabric. So I reluctantly put back the beautiful fat quarters and searched for a yellow, gray and blue fabric that I liked. After a half hour of searching, I came up with the following fabrics.
When I got home, I put Abigail down for a nap, and began cutting the fabric into the needed squares for this month’s BOM. I got all of my squares cut, then began cutting the larger squares into half square triangles. I was not watching what I was doing, and on the last square I messed up cutting the triangle properly. The worst part was that I did not have any extra fabric to just cut another triangle. I guess that is the risk I take when I do not buy extra fabric and only buy what is needed.
I then began assembling the triangles last night. Some how I managed to use the messed up triangle. When I messed up the cutting, I managed to cut it in a way that still left me with a little bit of room to make my quarter inch seam. Before I get too far on this quilt I may think about seeing if there is a product out there to secure that seam. Whether I use some sort of iron on fusible webbing or a glue of sorts that will not let the seam fray.
This morning I put the three blocks together per the instructions and this is what I ended up with.