Some how I found the time to finish the ladybug baby quilt that I began so long ago for my second child. It has been very hard to not only find the time to quilt/sew, but also been a little uncomfortable sitting at my machine for hours at a time while being pregnant. Now that I have finished her quilt, I am ok with her showing her face to the world now.
Here is a recap of what I have used on this quilt:
Fabric used was a collection of fabrics called Caravan Roundup by MaryJane Butters for Moda
- Backing Fabric and some Ladybug backs: Caravan Roundup Rodeo Sweetheart Gypsy Sisters
- Ladybug backs: Caravan Roundup Rodeo Sweetheart Cowgirl Territory
- Heads and underbellies of Ladybugs: Caravan Roundup Adventure Rodeo Dance the polka
- White Ladybug background squares: Caravan Roundup Adventure Cowgirl Territory
- Green Ladybug background squares: Caravan Roundup Tandem Campground Do Si Do
- Blue Border: Caravan Roundup Big Sky Campground Do Si Do
I used coordinating Gütermann 100% polyester thread. This thread seems to work really well in my machine and it holds up really well. In the end I also ended up using 3.5 yards of Fusible interfacing for all the appliquéd ladybugs.
What I learned from this quilt:
- I like using the Bernina Stitch Regulator “plugged in” that is. I tried it for 99% of the quilt not plugged in, so the foot just acted like a regular quilting/free motion foot. I wanted to try this to see if I got better results and to see if I could control my stitches. I can, but I will need a lot more practice. The BSR plugged into my machine works better for a beginner like me. Either way, I had fun with swirls and random feather like patterns in the border, just for fun. I outlined each of the ladybugs and free motioned their antennae’s. Since it is not perfect, it is what I call “rustic”. I love it.
- Each Lady bug was ironed on with fusible interfacing, then each square was sewn together. Then I used the blanket stitch from my machine to go around each ladybug. The only thing that I would change, is that next time, I would do the blanket stitch around each ladybug before putting the entire quilt top together. It created a lot of extra bulk when I was trying to turn and go around each ladybug.
- I loved using my walking foot for this project. It really helps to keep all the fabric together with out puckering or bunching.
- For this ladybug quilt, I used coordinating threads for the top of the project and a perfect match coordinating thread for the bottom of the quilt. I am glad that I did this, instead of using a crazy color combination. It helped hide all the imperfections.
My last step is going to be a quilt label for the back of the quilt. I think I am going to wait till we move to complete this step. I think for this quilt label I want to put my child’s name on the quilt along with my name and a finished on date. However, due to the fact that she is not here yet, I’m not 100% on a name, and we are not telling anyone her name before she arrives, this will have to wait until a later date.