Prior to Christmas of 2016, I fell in love with the fabric “Town Square” by Holly Taylor for Moda Fabrics. I was drawn mostly to the color palate and the sheer classic Christmas feeling that I got from a lot of the prints. I purchased two charm packs of this fabric from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. I also purchased a coordinating Kona Charm pack in a gray color. I liked the way all of these fabrics melded together.
It took me some time to decide on a proper pattern for this quilt. I searched the web but could not decide. I really wanted something that would looks like snowflakes. I finally found a pattern called “Charming Windmills” from a book by Pam & Nicky Lintott; “More Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts.” I chose this pattern because I thought that the windmill pattern reminded me of snowflakes.
In the following pictures I was making squares, each with a triangle of the printed fabric and the plain gray fabric.
Then I had to take the squares, square them up and then cut them in half. It was a lot of work, but I am happy how it all turned out.
One of the best things about this project was that I finally had a 1/4″ seam guide on one of my presser feet. I can say that this helped keep all my seams perfect. Which meant that I had a better chance of getting all of the windmills points to actually come together like they should. With out this seam guide, I am not sure that this quilt top would have come out as well as it did.
I then put my first border on this quilt. I had originally thought that this was going to be my binding only. However, when I actually finished this quilt top I thought that it was too small. I decided to start adding borders. I used this Maroon color for my first border and then went to the fabric store and bought more fabric for the next 5″ border. Now this quilt was a reasonable size for a lap quilt. I will use this Maroon color for the binding as well.
Now I am working on quilting this quilt. I chose to try stippling. It is going to take me a while, but it is fun to do.
Here is a picture of what I have done so far with Free motion quilting:
I will put up another picture once I finish the stippling on this quilt top.
Well, it has been a couple of days since my last post. I am so excited about the progress that I have made.
I got all of the rows sewn together.
I had some fun this weekend with out my little one. I spent some time at my local craft store and quilt shop. I rummaged through a ton of wonderful fabrics. I managed to pick out a background fabric for this quilt. I choose to use one of the fabrics that was in the quilt. I thought that I was going to use purple, but when it came down to it, I just did not like it enough. So, I choose the pink.
I think it looks a lot better than the purple option I was originally thinking of. Once I got the fabric home, I noticed that my quilt top looked bare. It needed a little extra finishing touches. I came up with the idea to create a small border around it with the background fabric that I just bought. I think it looks great so far. Not to mention that Abby likes it too!
Unfortunately, now I think it needs a second border. I already bought a blue fabric for the binding, but now I’m going to make a 3 inch border with it instead. I’ll show pictures of that once I get that finished. Since I used the backing fabric for a border, I am pretty sure that I do not have enough for the backing of the quilt, so I am going to have to buy more.
I look forward to Abigail’s naps every day now, as I am able to work on her quilt while she naps. Over the past couple of weeks, this is what I have managed to get done.
I first had to get organized:
I layed out all my strips in the order that I wanted. Then I labeled each pile.
I then cut off the selvage from the left side of every strip.
I then took each pile and sewed them together, horizontally and then cut them three inches wide at a 45 degree angle.
I am taking my time and trying to make all the seams as accurate as possible. I am using my walking foot, but as I work on this quilt, I am wishing I had a quarter inch foot.
I managed to re-asemble and sew all the strips together and I cut out pink sashing to go between the rows. The pattern that I am following called for a 2 inch sashing, but I want this quilt to be a bit larger. I cut my sashing to be 3 inches. I cant wait to see what this is going to look like all put together.
I have about 4 rows completed, with sashing attached. I will post pictures of that progress in the next couple of days.