At the last minute I decided to make Abigail an Apron for Halloween. I spent about $4 on her costume this year. The fabric store was having a sale on their solid colored fabrics. Last year I made her a Princess Peach Apron and this year I made her Cinderella Apron.
I look forward to Abigail’s naps every day now, as I am able to work on her quilt while she naps. Over the past couple of weeks, this is what I have managed to get done.
I first had to get organized:
I layed out all my strips in the order that I wanted. Then I labeled each pile.
I then cut off the selvage from the left side of every strip.
I then took each pile and sewed them together, horizontally and then cut them three inches wide at a 45 degree angle.
I am taking my time and trying to make all the seams as accurate as possible. I am using my walking foot, but as I work on this quilt, I am wishing I had a quarter inch foot.
I managed to re-asemble and sew all the strips together and I cut out pink sashing to go between the rows. The pattern that I am following called for a 2 inch sashing, but I want this quilt to be a bit larger. I cut my sashing to be 3 inches. I cant wait to see what this is going to look like all put together.
I have about 4 rows completed, with sashing attached. I will post pictures of that progress in the next couple of days.
Well…. I know that I said that I was only going to work on hand quilting my lonestar quilt and I said that I was not going to start another project before this one was finished, I slipped up. I really wanted to get out my sewing machine and work on something different.
For my birthday, I acquired a pattern to make a Teddy Bear. I have always wanted to try making stuffed animals. I decided that this was going to be a great thing to do. How hard could it be?
I had some left over scrap gray minky fabric that was calling my name. It really wanted to be used. I also had some gray polka dot fabric left over from the baby quilt that I had made Abigail. Over the course of a couple of days I managed to make a cute little bear.
This was the first stuffed animal that I have made. The bear turned out cute, however, minky fabric is so hard to work with. Next time I should probably make this bear out of cotton fabric only. The pattern called for the same fabric to be used on the entire bear, but I think that the two toned look is much better. It also called for me to embroider a nose and a mouth. I tried that but decided that I did not like the way it was looking, so I took it out. The eyes are sparkly buttons that I had found in my button stash.
I gave it to Abigail and she calls it her “Carebear”.
Here is a picture of my little helper that insisted that she sit with me. I did have a lot of fun trying to put this bear together and I am quite pleased how it came out.