This is the first time that I have done a Block of the Month(BoM) Quilt. I decided that it would be fun to try one. I choose the BoM from Bernina’s blog WeAllSew.com . I love the way the quilt looks and all of the bright colors are something that I love. I decided that for this project I am not concerned on creating it with the exact fabric or even the same colors. Each month I am going to use whatever scraps that I can find, that would match the overall style of the block for that month. If I do not have enough fabric, then I will buy some that month that meets the requirement for the block.
This months quilt block is called : Antique Mosaic Block. I liked the color choices in this block. Fortunate for me I had left over light pink fabric from the quilt that I did for my daughter. For the other fabrics, I bought Fat Quarters from Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store. They had them on sale for $1 each. The fabric requirement for this quilt suggests that we get the same background fabric for the entire quilt. Each block will use some of this same fabric each month. I am not concerned about this as I am trying to focus on creating and learning new blocks each month. My quilt, in the end, should be rustic when I am done. I will choose a different gray each month or so, that way it blends a bit.
I am using Aurifil’s 100% Cotton 50wt Gray thread to piece this entire quilt together. Today, while Abigail was napping, I managed to piece together the block. I took my time and slowly put this piece together as I knew that I had better take my time or none of the points would match up. For this first block the step by step instructions were great. I did get a little confused when I went to put together the strips into one large block. It took me a few minutes to realize that the computer generated pictures had the light pink and dark pink colors switched. At first I thought that I had done something wrong, but I looked further into the instructions and noticed that the final project and what I had put together were the same.
I like doing this BoM project on my own. I can do this in my own time and really enjoy the process. I am excited to see what next months block will be.
I took the last few days and decided that I would organize all my scrap fabric. I do not have a ton of scraps, but for me, they were getting in the way. I did not know how much of what fabric I had, so I decided that I would take the time to cut up all of the extra fabric.
I took my Omnigrid square rulers and made piles of fabric according to the size of the templates. I took a scrap and cut the biggest square that I could manage according to the ruler size.
Once all of this was completed, I found that I now have quite a nice collection of different sized squares.
- 9.5″ Squares
- 6.5″ Squares
- 5″ Squares
- 4.5″ Squares
- 2.5″ Squares
- 3″ Strips of fabric
- 2.5″ Strips of fabric
- Bag of odd sized scraps
These scraps will come in handy the next time I need something small, or I can turn them into a beautiful scrappy looking quilt.
Now that it is all organized, I can begin my next project.
I did manage to finish up my Christmas quilt. I am so happy on how this one turned out. It actually ended up being square. I did use this quilt as practice for several things:
- I worked really hard on using a perfect quarter inch seam for piecing.
- Used the Bernina Stitch Regulator(BSR) for quilting.
- Used a right Seam guide for stitching straight lines.
- Practiced using different weights of thread for quilting.
- Used the Binding tool from Missouri Star Quilt Company.
I first began quilting with Aurifil 50wt 100% cotton gray thread. It is very fine, and I liked the way it quilted, but I also wanted to try another option. The quilting lines were hard to see and did not stand out as much as I would have liked. After quilting about 3 blocks, I then changed my top thread to Superior Threads 40wt King Tut Gray. The quilting stitches really stood out this time. I also discovered that Quilting needles are awesome to use for this as well. On my previous projects I used a universal 80/12 needle, but the quilting needle glided through the quilt sandwich much easier.
I also used the BSR to work on stippling a random pattern. I only quilted around the pinwheel so that way it would stand out more. I like the way this turned out. It was difficult to do this as I had to really watch myself so that I would not back myself into a corner. I wanted to make sure to keep the stitching continuous with out having to do each square and then start again.
I also used the Binding tool this time for the quilt binding instead of just wrapping the back over to the front to finish off the quilt. In the past on previous projects, I have had a hard time with this. However, with the Binding Tool, I was able to properly have the binding the correct size and fit together perfectly around the quilt. Looking at the quilt you would never know where the binding began or ended. I will definitely use this tool again.
It’s time to begin another quilt project.
Quilt Summary for this Christmas Quilt:
- Finished Size: 55″ x 55″
- Used Pattern “Charming Windmills Quilt” from More Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts by Pam & Nicky Lintott. I added two borders to make mine larger; a 2″ border and a 5″ border.
- Fabric used: two charm packs of Town Square by Holly Taylor and two charm packs Bella Solids by Moda in a corresponding Gray. One Maroon Jelly roll for the 2″ border and the Binding. Background fabric is “Snow Glides, Stars hide over the Town Square” by Holly Taylor.
- Thread: I used a 40wt Superior King Tut 100% cotton gray for most of the quilting, along with Aurifil 50wt 100% cotton in the same gray color.